June 21, 2019 – Teenagers are defying their worried parents by spending over half their weekends cooped up indoors, new research has revealed.
Despite 91 percent of moms and dads begging their offspring to play outside, kids remain inside for an average of 20 hours and 6 minutes, according to a new poll.
The worldwide survey of 2,000 parents and teens also found that nearly three quarters of US parents (73 percent) are worried that their child spends too much time indoors, while 76 percent believe their kids play outside less than they did as youngsters.
The research carried out by Clip ‘n Climb, leader of the fun climbing market, also highlights parents’ fears that social media and technology are having a detrimental effect on their children.
Half of parents surveyed (51 percent) fear the amount of time their child spends online is affecting their social skills. The same percentage think their child’s future in the workplace or education could be harmed by their lack of time socialising with people.
Over a third (42 percent) say their kids are lacking the social skills they had at their age. And a total of 55 percent of parents say their children interact more with their friends online than in person.
Sander Culliton, Managing Director at Clip ’n Climb, said: “Getting kids out of the house and away from screens is vital to ensure they develop the skills that will help them get on in life.
“Our Clip ‘n Climb facilities state-wide provide the perfect location for children, teens and families to challenge themselves via physical activity in a safe and welcoming environment.”
The survey ran in tandem with Clip ’n Climb’s plans to launch a new cutting-edge scoring system to embrace connectivity and their customer’s love of technology.
When asked what their child does indoors, 68 percent said they watched movies.
Over half of children (51 percent) played on their tablet computer, 47 percent with toys, 38 percent on a games consoles and a third (33 percent) with their siblings.
Sander continued: “To align ourselves with how youngsters like to feel connected while offering healthy leisure activities, we are introducing a ‘gaming’ element to our Clip ’n Climb centers.
“The new ‘Clip ‘n Score’ system will enable climbers to track their scores as well as their climbing height and speed via contactless technology. We know it will really appeal to our visitors.”
About Clip ‘n Climb:
- Clip ‘n Climb is the market leader in the fun-climbing sector with 240 centers worldwide.
- Clip ’n Climb’s sportainment brand is built around the belief that ‘everybody can’.Visitors of any age can conquer challenges individually or as part of a team
- Clip ’n Climb is passionate about leading the charge on quality industry innovation and is set to unveil an sophisticated new scoring system. It’s vision is to reach 1,000 centres world-wide by 2022.
- Clip ’n Climb is part of Entre-Prises, a company founded in 1985 by climbing enthusiasts. Entre-Prises is a pioneer in the climbing-wall industry, known for designing, manufacturing and installing custom solutions for the sport of climbing around the world.
- In turn, Entre-Prises is a member of the ABEO Group, one of the world’s leading operators in the sports and leisure equipment market.
Company Name: Toast PR
Contact Person: Julia Mitchell
Email: Send Email
Phone: 00447867 638373
Address:82 The Greenhouse Mediacityuk, Salford
City: Greater Manchester M50 2EQ
Country: United Kingdom